- I changed jobs, not companies, I still work for the best company in North Carolina (and probably the world!) but I have moved from our Operational Services team over to a Solutions Architect role. So now I get to help design and build the solutions we support. It's a massive paradigm shift, and I am really enjoying the opportunity to look at technology from an operational and architectural perspective.
- I spoke at Varrow Madness, this is something I try to do at least once a year. I love evangelizing about technology and this is a great opportunity to do that. Really appreciate Varrow letting me take part in such a great event.
- I became a vExpert! This is a huge accomplishment and one that I have been aiming at for quite some time. Thank you all for reading this blog and to all my friends in /r/VMware for helping me accomplish this goal.
- I submitted a VCDX Application. The design process itself was ripe with learning opportunities, putting a design like this together has taught me so much about the process that even if it gets rejected (it wont!) I feel like the time invested was well spent. Thanks everyone who has supported me throughout that process, I couldn't have done it without everyones (especially the wife's) support.
- I finished my Master's Degree! ...and not a moment too soon, lets just say higher education and I have come to an uneasy truce. I doubt we will be crossing paths again in the traditional sense. Glad to be done.
Suffice it to say, things have been busy, really busy, and it doesn't look like they are slowing down. My National Guard unit is mobilizing and it looks like I will be going with them. As always, Varrow is going above and beyond with regards to accommodating me through the process and I know that I am going to be coming back to an awesome job and an great group of people in a year or so. In the interim I am going to tie up loose ends around work and prepare for the transition. Hopefully I will be defending VCDX in October while on leave from the Army. So in no particular order are some of my goals while I am away with the Army.
- Be an outstanding Army Officer - I've never been mobilized and this mission is going to require planning, intelligence, and flexibility, hoping I am up to the task.
- Get my VCDX - The closer I get the more real it becomes. Hoping that the defense goes well and I knock this one out. Hit me up @vDingus if you are interested in mocks.
- Stay in touch with the community - This mobilization might actually afford me more opportunity to blog more, maybe even do a Pluralsight course the intent is to stay hooked into the community despite being away from home. Maybe I will do an EMEA #vBrownBag.
- Get some other certs - looks like some potential for a testing center near our location, so perhaps I will be able to get CISSP / CCNP R&S since they relate to my Army role.
That pretty much covers it, life is a whirlwind and will continue to be I feel like there is a lot of opportunity coming for me in the future. Right now the plan is to make the best out of every moment I have at my disposal. As always, thank you for reading, and please comment or hit me on twitter if you want to talk more.